03 Issues & Trends
Cereal Foods World, Vol. 65, No. 2
Print To PDF
Pulses and Legumes: Nutritional Opportunities and Challenges
Stefanie M. Havemeier1 and Joanne Slavin2
University of Minnesota, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, St. Paul, MN, U.S.A.
1 E-mail: email@example.com
2 Corresponding author. University of Minnesota, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, 1334 Eckles Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108, U.S.A. Tel: +1.612.624.7234; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2020 Cereals & Grains Association
Pulses are annual crops harvested for their dry grains, including dry beans, peas, and lentils. Pulses are recognized for their favorable sustainability characteristics and are prepared and consumed globally using a variety of culinary techniques. Seventeen specific pulse varieties were selected and reviewed for their health benefits and nutrient contents. Pulses typically are rich in fiber and protein, but the contents of these nutrients vary greatly among varieties. Although pulses offer an extensive list of positive attributes, antinutritional factors, varying nutrient profiles, and potential allergenicity are important considerations when selecting the ideal pulse grain for a food application.
Trying to reach content?
View Full Article
if you don't have access, become a member
- Ahnen, R. T., Jonnalagadda, S. S., and Slavin, J. L. Role of plant protein in nutrition, wellness, and health. Nutr. Rev. 77:735, 2019.
- Barnett, M. L., Gautam, A., Keller, L. C., Lykomitros, D., Morales-Alvarez, J. C., and Richey, S. A. Extruded legume snack food. Available online at www.google.com/patents/US20130202774. U.S. patent US20130202774A1, 2013.
- Borresen, E. C., Brown, D. G., Harbison, G., Taylor, L., Fairbanks, A., et al. A randomized controlled trial to increase navy bean or rice bran consumption in colorectal cancer survivors. Nutr. Cancer 68:1269, 2016.
- Borresen, E. C., Jenkins-Puccetti, N., Schmitz, K., Brown, D. G., Pollack, A., et al. A pilot randomized controlled clinical trial to assess tolerance and efficacy of navy bean and rice bran supplementation for lowering cholesterol in children. Global Pediatr. Health. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2333794X17694231. 2017.
- Boye, J., Wijesinha-Bettoni, R., and Burlingame, B. Protein quality evaluation twenty years after the introduction of the protein digestibility corrected amino acid score method. Br. J. Nutr. 108(Suppl. 2):S183, 2012.
- Campbell, C. P., and Yates, D. H. Lupin allergy: A hidden killer at home, a menace at work; Occupational disease due to lupin allergy. Clin. Exp. Allergy 40:1467, 2010.
- European Commission. Commission Directive 2006/142/EC of 22 December 2006 amending Annex IIIa of Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the council listing the ingredients which must under all circumstances appear on the labelling of foodstuff. Available online at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32006L0142. Off. J. Eur. Union L 368/110, 2006.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Pulses: Nutritious seeds for a sustainable future. Published online at www.fao.org/3/a-i5528e.pdf. FAO, Rome, Italy, 2016.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. FAO/INFOODS Global Database for Pulses, version 1.0 (uPulses1.0). Available online at www.fao.org/infoods/infoods/tables-and-databases/faoinfoods-databases/en. FAO, Rome, Italy, 2017.
- Food Standards Agency. 14 Allergens. Published online at www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/document/top-allergy-types.pdf. FSA, London, U.K., 2014.
- George, R. A. T. Agricultural Seed Production. CABI, Wallingford, U.K., 2011.
- Granito, M., Frias, J., Doblado, R., Guerra, M., Champ, M., and Vidal-Valverde, C. Nutritional improvement of beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) by natural fermentation. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 214:226, 2002.
- Havemeier, S., Erickson, J., and Slavin, J. Dietary guidance for pulses: The challenge and opportunity to be part of both the vegetable and protein food groups. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1392:58, 2017.
- Ita, M. Raffinose extract from navy beans decreases fermentation time and enhances overall quality of yogurt. Available online at http://go.galegroup.com.ezp1.lib.umn.edu/ps/i.do?&id=GALE%7CA491719685&v=2.1&u=umn_wilson&it=r&p=EAIM&sw=w&authCount=1. ProQuest Dissertations, proquest.com, 2016.
- Kasprowicz-Potocka, M., Borowczyk, P., Zaworska, A., Nowak, W., Frankiewicz, A., and Gulewicz, P. The effect of dry yeast fermentation on chemical composition and protein characteristics of blue lupin seeds. Food Technol. Biotechnol. 54:360, 2016.
- Kelkar, S., Siddiq, M., Harte, J. B., Dolan, K. D., Nyombaire, G., and Suniaga, H. Use of low-temperature extrusion for reducing phytohemagglutinin activity (PHA) and oligosaccharides in beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) cv. Navy and Pinto. Food Chem. 133:1636, 2012.
- Kissinger, G. Pulse crops and sustainability: A framework to evaluate multiple benefits. Published online at https://iyp2016.org/images/pdf/Pulse-crops_sustainability-framework_final_April-18-2016.pdf. iyp2016.org, 2016.
- Luo, J., Cai, W., Wu, T., and Xu, B. Phytochemical distribution in hull and cotyledon of adzuki bean (Vigna angularis L.) and mung bean (Vigna radiate L.), and their contribution to antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic activities. Food Chem. 201:350, 2016.
- Lusas, E. W., and Riaz, M. N. Soy protein products: Processing and use. J. Nutr. 125(Suppl. 3):573S, 1998.
- McDermott, J., and Wyatt, A. J. The role of pulses in sustainable and healthy food systems. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 1392:30, 2017.
- Nyombaire, G., Siddiq, M., and Dolan, K. D. Physico-chemical and sensory quality of extruded light red kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) porridge. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 44:1597, 2011.
- Pulse Canada. Protein quality of cooked pulses (PDCAAS method). Available online at www.ontariobeans.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/USA_PC_protein_fact_sheet_p6.pdf. Pulse Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, 2011.
- Shurtleff, W., and Aoyagi, A. History of Tofu and Tofu Products (965 CE to 2013). Published online at www.soyinfocenter.com/pdf/163/Tofu.pdf. Soyinfo Center, Lafayette, CA, 2013.
- Siddiq, M., Butt, M. S., and Sultan, M. T. Dry beans: Production, processing, and nutrition. Page 545 in: Handbook of Vegetables and Vegetable Processing. N. K. Sinha, ed. Blackwell Publishing, Hoboken, NJ, 2011.
- Szczygiel, E. J., Harte, J. B., Strasburg, G. M., and Cho, S. Consumer acceptance and aroma characterization of navy bean Phaseolus vulgaris powders prepared by extrusion and conventional processing methods. J. Sci. Food Agric. 97:4142, 2017.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, release 28. Published online at https://fdc.nal.usda.gov. Nutrient Data Laboratory Research Service, Riverdale, MD, 2018.
- U.S. Dry Bean Council. US dry bean suppliers directory. Available online at www.usdrybeans.com/who-we-are/suppliers-directory. USDBC, www.usdrybeans.com, 2016.
- Yousif, A. M., Kato, J., and Death, H. C. Effect of storage on the biochemical structure and processing quality of adzuki bean (Vigna angularis). Food Rev. Int. 23:1, 2007.