Print To PDF
Analytical Testing to Support Australian Wheat Export Quality
Westcott Consultants, Goulburn, NSW, Australia
Wheat is the largest Australian grain crop, with a 10 year average production of almost 25 million tonnes. About 70% of the crop is exported, principally to markets in Asia. Australia’s wheat classification and grading system relies on the additive effects of wheat variety (inherited characteristics) plus grain quality testing (environmental characteristics). A wheat variety’s maximum classification is determined prior to release, and testing at the first point of receival establishes the class and grade for storage and, hence, suitability for end use. Grain quality is tested at up to 5 points within the supply chain before it is shipped to export markets or used by the domestic market. This article describes the analytical testing used and how it is integrated within the broader context of the Australian wheat industry.
Trying to reach content?
View Full Article
if you don't have access, become a member
- AACC International. Method 44-15.02, Moisture—Air-Oven Methods; Method 46-30.01, Crude Protein—Combustion Method; Method 55-10.01, Test Weight per Bushel; Method 56-81.03, Determination of Falling Number. Approved Methods of Analysis, 11th ed. Published online at http://methods.aaccnet.org. AACC International, St. Paul, MN.
- ABARES. Australian crop report: September 2018 No. 187. Published online at www.agriculture.gov.au/abares/research-topics/agricultural-commodities/australian-crop-report. Australian Government, Canberra, ACT, Australia, 2018.
- Australasian Grain Science Association (formerly RACI). Method 02-03, Dumas (combustion) total nitrogen determination. Official Testing Methods of the Australasian Grain Science Association, 4th edition. AGSA, Narrabri, NSW, Australia, 2003.
- Cereals Canada, Canadian Grain Commission, and Canadian International Grains Institute. 2017 Canadian wheat crop in review. Published online at https://canadianwheat.ca. Cereals Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 2017.
- Delwiche, S., and Miskelly, D. Analysis of grain quality at receival. Page 513 in: Cereal Grains: Assessing and Managing Quality, 2nd ed. C. Wrigley, I. Batey, and D. Miskelly, eds. Woodhead Publishing, Kidlington, U.K., 2017.
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources. National residue survey 2016–17 – Grains. Published online at www.agriculture.gov.au/ag-farm-food/food/nrs/nrs-results-publications/industry-brochures/grains. DAWR, Canberra, ACT, Australia, 2018.
- Food Standards Australia & New Zealand. Food Standards Code. Published online at www.foodstandards.gov.au. FSANZ, Canberra, ACT, Australia, 2018.
- GrainCorp. Australian crop report 2017/18. Published online at www.graincorp.com.au/grains/technical-services. GrainCorp, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018.
- Grain Trade Australia. Visual recognition standards guide for grain commodity sampling and assessment. Published online at www.graintrade.org.au/fact-sheets-publications. GTA, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2017.
- Grain Trade Australia. Grain trading standards—2018/2019 trading standards. Published online at www.graintrade.org.au/commodity_standards. GTA, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018.
- Grain Trade Australia. Management of Grain within the Australian Grain Supply Chain: Australian Grain Industry—Code of Practice. Published online at www.graintrade.org.au/grain-industry-code-practice. GTA, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018.
- Grain Trade Australia. Section 2—Wheat trading standards 2018/19 season. Published online at www.graintrade.org.au/sites/default/files/file/Commodity%20Standards/2018-2019/Section%2002%20-%20Wheat%20Trading%20Standards%20201819%20Final_Revised%2007Nov18.pdf. GTA, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018.
- Grain Trade Australia. Seed impurities of grain—An identification kit, 3rd ed. Published online at ://www.graintrade.org.au/sites/default/files/file/Publications/Seed
%20Impurities%20of%20Grain%20an%20identification%20kit%20(1).pdf. GTA, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2018.
- National Measurement Institute. NMI M 8: Pattern approval specifications for protein measuring instruments for grain. Published online at https://measurement.gov.au/Publications/PARequirements/Documents/NMI%20M%208.pdf. NMI, Lindfield, NSW, Australia, 2004.
- National Measurement Institute. NITP 15.1: National instrument test procedures for measuring instruments for grain quality. Protein measuring instruments. Published online at www.measurement.gov.au/Publications/NMIVDocuments/Documents/NITP15.1.pdf. NMI, Lindfield, NSW, Australia, 2014.
- Rees, D. Insects of Stored Grain—A Pocket Reference. CSIRO Publishing, Canberra, Australia, 2007.
- U.S. Wheat Associates. 2017 Crop quality report. Published online at www.uswheat.org/market-and-crop-information/crop-quality. USW, Arlington, VA, 2017.