Rice is one of the leading food crops in the world and is nutritious, versatile, and gluten-free. Using a mix of lecture and lab work, this course will provide information and hands-on experience about rice physiology, quality, milling, functionality, and sensory evaluation. The structure and composition of a rice kernel and the physicochemical properties of kernel constituents will also be discussed.
- Understand the unique characteristics of rice as a food product and ingredient
- Learn about rice breeding and various factors impacting rice quality
- Understand hybrid rice postharvest research
- Gain knowledge of rice production and post-harvest processing
- Understand rice milling and how rice processing is unique among cereal grains
- Review of sensory evaluation for raw and cooked rice