Cereal Foods World, Vol. 64, No. 2
Print To PDF
Global Food Security in the 21st Century—Resilience of the Food Supply
A. Vasan1 and B. G. Bedard2
Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical, social, and economic access to sufficient, safe, and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for maintaining an active and healthy life. Given the growing risks associated with increased demands for natural resources, social transition, political instability, trade barriers, climate change, and economic inequality, building a resilient, secure global food system is essential. This article reviews current research in this area, critically summarizes the varied efforts that are underway, and candidly questions our ability to address evolving threats to agri-food supply chains.
Trying to reach content?
View Full Article
if you don't have access, become a member
- Datar, I. The future of food is farming cells, not cattle. Quartz, October 3, 2018.
- Foley, J. A., Ramankutty, N., Brauman, K. A., Cassidy, E. S., Gerber, J. S., et al. Solutions for a cultivated planet. Nature 478:337, 2011.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The state of food insecurity in the world 2001. Available online at www.fao.org/3/y1500e/y1500e00.htm. FAO, Rome, Italy, 2001.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Fund of Agricultural Development, UNICEF, World Food Programme, and World Health Organization. The state of food security and nutrition in the world 2018. Building climate resilience for food security and nutrition. Available online at www.fao.org/state-of-food-security-nutrition/en. FAO, Rome, Italy, 2018.
- Fraser, E., Legwegoh, A., Krishna, K. C., CoDyre, M., Dias, G., et al. Biotechnology or organic? Extensive or intensive? Global or local? A critical review of potential pathways to resolve the global food crisis. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 48:78, 2016.
- Godfray, H. C. J., Beddington, J. R., Crute, I. R., Haddad, L., Lawrence, D., Muir, J. F., Pretty, J., Robinson, S., Thomas, S. M., and Toulmin, C. Food security: The challenge of feeding 9 billion people. Science 12:812, 2010.
- Hanjra, M. A., and Qureshi, M. E. Global water crisis and future food security in an era of climate change. Food Policy 35:365, 2010.
- Jalava, M., Kummu, M., Porkka, M., Siebert, S., and Varis, O. Diet change—A solution to reduce water use? Environ. Res. Lett. 9:091003, 2014.
- Kumar, D., and Kalita, P. Reducing postharvest losses during storage of grain crops to strengthen food security in developing countries. Foods 6:8, 2017.
- Kummu, M., Gerten, D., Heinke, J., Konzmann, M., and Varis, O. Climate-driven interannual variability of water scarcity in food production: A global analysis. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 18:447, 2014.
- Nayar, S., and Bott, K. Current status of global cultivated seaweed production and markets. World Aquacult. 45(2):32, 2014.
- Popkin, B. M., Adair, L. S., and Ng, S. W. Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutr. Rev. 70:3, 2012.
- Rizvi, S., Pagnutti, C., Fraser, E., Bauch, C. T., and Anand, M. Global land use implications of dietary trends. PLoS One. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0200781. 2018.
- Searchinger, T., Waite, R., Hanson, C., Ranganathan, J., Dumas, P., and Matthews, E. Creating a sustainable food future: A menu of solutions to feed nearly 10 billion people by 2050. Available online at www.wri.org/publication/creating-sustainable-food-future. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC, 2018.
- Seekell, D., Carr, J., Dell’Angelo, J., D’Odorico, P., Fader, M., et al. Resilience in the global food system. Environ. Res. Lett. 12:025010, 2017.
- Stone, J., Rahimifard, S., and Woolley, E. An overview of resilience factors in food supply chains. 11th Biennial Conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics. Available online at https://dspace.lboro.ac.uk/2134/19826. ESEE, 2015.
- U.S. Agency for International Development. A food-secure 2030: A global vision and call to action. Published online at www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1867/A_Food-Secure_2030.pdf. USAID, Washington, DC, 2016.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015–2020, 8th ed. Published online at https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 2015.