03 Issues & Trends
Cereal Foods World, Vol. 64, No. 5
Print To PDF
Inclusion of Dietary Fiber in Meat Products: A Commitment to the Development of Healthy Meat Products
Sandra M. Vásquez Mejía1,2 and Benjamin M. Bohrer3
1 Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Sede Bogotá, Departamento de Producción Animal, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y de Zootecnia, Carrera 30 #45-03 Edificio 561A, Postal code 111321, Bogotá, Colombia.
2 Corresponding author. Tel: (57) 3003516871; ORCiD: 0000-0001-7491-5930; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3 University of Guelph, Department of Food Science, Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1, Canada.
© 2019 AACC International, Inc.
In this review, the application of dietary fiber in processed meat products is discussed. In recent years there has been a significant increase in awareness of the importance (and lack) of consumption of dietary fiber around the world. At the same time, knowledge concerning the application of dietary fiber ingredients in processed foods has been developing rapidly. Most processed meat products offer unique opportunities for dietary fiber inclusion, and there is great potential for new applications in this area.
Trying to reach content?
View Full Article
if you don't have access, become a member
- Álvarez, D., and Barbut, S. Effect of inulin, beta-glucan and their mixtures on emulsion stability, color and textural parameters of cooked meat batters. Meat Sci. 94:320, 2013.
- Anderson, J. W., Baird, P., Davis, R. H., Ferreri, S., Knudtson, M., Koraym, A., Waters, V., and Williams, C. L. Health benefits of dietary fiber. Nutr. Rev. 67:188, 2009.
- Bohrer, B. M. Nutrient density and nutritional value of meat products and non-meat foods high in protein. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 65:103, 2017.
- Brownlee, I. The impact of dietary fibre intake on the physiology and health of the stomach and upper gastrointestinal tract. Bioact. Carbohydr. Diet. Fibre 4:155, 2014.
- Chang, W., Liu, F., Sharif, H. R., Huang, Z., Goff, H. D., and Zhong, F. Preparation of chitosan films by neutralization for improving their preservation effects on chilled meat. Food Hydrocoll. 90:50, 2019.
- Chawla, R. P. G. R., and Patil, G. R. Soluble dietary fiber. Compr. Rev. Food Sci. Food Saf. 9:178, 2010.
- Conlon, M., and Bird, A. The impact of diet and lifestyle on gut microbiota and human health. Nutrients 7:17, 2015.
- do Amaral, D. S., Cardelle-Cobas, A., do Nascimento, B. M. S., Monteiro, M. J., Madruga, M. S., and Pintado, M. M. E. Development of a low fat fresh pork sausage based on chitosan with health claims: Impact on the quality, functionality and shelf-life. Food Funct. 6:2768, 2015.
- Dong, Y., Chen, L., Gutin, B., and Zhu, H. Total, insoluble, and soluble dietary fiber intake and insulin resistance and blood pressure in adolescents. Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 73:1172, 2019.
- El Khoury, D., Cuda, C., Luhovyy, B. L., and Anderson, G. H. Beta glucan: Health benefits in obesity and metabolic syndrome. J. Nutr. Metab. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/851362. 2012.
- Elleuch, M., Bedigian, D., Roiseux, O., Besbes, S., Blecker, C., and Attia, H. Dietary fibre and fibre-rich by-products of food processing: Characterisation, technological functionality and commercial applications: A review. Food Chem. 124:411, 2011.
- Foschia, M., Peressini, D., Sensidoni, A., Brennan, M. A., and Brennan, C. S. Synergistic effect of different dietary fibres in pasta on in vitro starch digestion? Food Chem. 172:245, 2015.
- Gibis, M., Schuh, V., and Weiss, J. Effects of carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) and microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) as fat replacers on the microstructure and sensory characteristics of fried beef patties. Food Hydrocoll. 45:236, 2015.
- Grasso, S., Brunton, N. P., Lyng, J. G., Lalor, F., and Monahan, F. J. Healthy processed meat products—Regulatory, reformulation and consumer challenges. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 39:4, 2014.
- Han, M., and Bertram, H. C. Designing healthier comminuted meat products: Effect of dietary fibers on water distribution and texture of a fat-reduced meat model system. Meat Sci. 133:159, 2017.
- Huang, S., Wang, L. M., Sivendiran, T., and Bohrer, B. M. Amino acid concentration of high protein food products and an overview of the current methods used to determine protein quality. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 58:2673, 2018.
- Kanatt, S. R., Chander, R., and Sharma, A. Chitosan and mint mixture: A new preservative for meat and meat products. Food Chem. 107:845, 2008.
- Lattimer, J. M., and Haub, M. D. Effects of dietary fiber and its components on metabolic health. Nutrients 2:1266, 2010.
- Li, C., and Uppal, M. Canadian Diabetes Association National Nutrition Committee clinical update on dietary fibre in diabetes: Food sources to physiological effects. Can. J. Diabetes 34:355, 2010.
- Lie, L., Brown, L., Forrester, T. E., Plange-Rhule, J., Bovet, P., Lambert, E. V., Layden, B. T., Luke, A., and Dugas, L. R. The association of dietary fiber intake with cardiometabolic risk in four countries across the epidemiologic transition. Nutrients 10:628, 2018.
- Liu, F., Chang, W., Chen, M., Xu, F., Ma, J., and Zhong, F. Tailoring physicochemical properties of chitosan films and their protective effects on meat by varying drying temperature. Carbohydr. Polym. 212:150, 2019.
- Maphosa, Y., and Jideani, V. A. Dietary fiber extraction for human nutrition—A review. Food Rev. Int. 32:98, 2016.
- Mehta, N., Ahlawat, S. S., Sharma, D. P., and Dabur, R. S. Novel trends in development of dietary fiber rich meat products—A critical review. J. Food Sci. Technol. 52:633, 2015.
- Mujtaba, M., Morsi, R. E., Kerch, G., Elsabee, M. Z., Kaya, M., Labidi, J., and Khawar, K. M. Current advancements in chitosan-based film production for food technology; A review. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 121:889, 2019.
- Öztürk, B., and Serdaroglu, M. A rising star prebiotic dietary fiber: Inulin and recent applications in meat products. J. Food Health Sci. 3:12, 2017.
- Pereira, M. A., and Ludwig, D. S. Dietary fiber and body-weight regulation: Observations and mechanisms. Pediatr. Clin. N. Am. 48:969, 2001.
- Resurreccion, A. V. A. Sensory aspects of consumer choices for meat and meat products. Meat Sci. 66:11, 2004.
- Sans, P., and Combris, P. World meat consumption patterns: An overview of the last fifty years (1961–2011). Meat Sci. 109:106, 2015.
- Schuh, V., Allard, K., Herrmann, K., Gibis, M., Kohlus, R., and Weiss, J. Impact of carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) and microcrystalline cellulose (MCC) on functional characteristics of emulsified sausages. Meat Sci. 93:240, 2013.
- Shahidi, F., and Abuzaytoun, R. Chitin, chitosan, and co-products: Chemistry, production, applications, and health effects. Adv. Food Nutr. Res. 49:93, 2005.
- Sievenpiper, J. L., Chan, C. B., Dworatzek, P. D., Freeze, C., and Williams, S. L. Nutrition therapy. Can. J. Diabetes 42(Suppl. 1):S64, 2018.
- Silva-Vazquez, R., Flores-Giron, E., Quintero-Ramos, A., Hume, M. E., and Mendez-Zamora, G. Effect of inulin and pectin on physicochemical characteristics and emulsion stability of meat batters. CyTA J. Food. 16:306, 2018.
- Sun, L., Sun, J., Chen, L., Niu, P., Yang, X., and Guo, Y. Preparation and characterization of chitosan film incorporated with thinned young apple polyphenols as an active packaging material. Carbohydr. Polym. 163:81, 2017.
- Tayel, A. A., Ibrahim, S. I. A., Al-Saman, M. A., and Moussa, S. H. Production of fungal chitosan from date wastes and its application as a biopreservative for minced meat. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 69:471, 2014.
- Tokusoglu, Ö., and Ünal, M. K. Fat replacers in meat products. Pak. J. Nutr. 2:196, 2003.
- Trius, A., Sebranek, J. G., and Lanier, T. Carrageenans and their use in meat products. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. 36:69, 1996.
- Vasquez Mejía, S. M., de Francisco, A., and Bohrer, B. M. Replacing starch in beef emulsion models with beta-glucan, microcrystalline cellulose, or a combination of beta-glucan and microcrystalline cellulose. Meat Sci. 153:58, 2019.
- Vasquez Mejía, S. M., de Francisco, A., Manique Barreto, P. L., Damian, C., Zibetti, A. W., Mahecha, H. S., and Bohrer, B. M. Incorporation of beta-glucans in meat emulsions through an optimal mixture modeling systems. Meat Sci. 143:210, 2018.
- Vasquez Mejía, S. M., de Francisco, A., Sandrin, R., da Silva, T., and Bohrer, B. M. Effects of the incorporation of beta-glucans in chicken breast during storage. Poult. Sci. 98:3326, 2019.
- Whitehead, A., Beck, E. J., Tosh, S., and Wolever, T. M. S. Cholesterol-lowering effects of oat beta-glucan: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 100:1413, 2014.
- Yousefi, M., Khorshidian, N., and Hosseini, H. An overview of the functionality of inulin in meat and poultry products. Nutr. Food Sci. 48:819, 2018.
- Zhang, J., and Wang, Z. W. Soluble dietary fiber from Canna edulis Ker by-product and its physicochemical properties. Carbohydr. Polym. 92:289, 2013.
- Zia-ur-Rehman, Z., Islam, M., and Shah, W. H. Effect of microwave and conventional cooking on insoluble dietary fibre components of vegetables. Food Chem. 80:237, 2003.