03 Issues & Trends
Print To PDF
Effects of Microwave-Assisted Baking on Quality of Gluten-free Cakes and Breads
Eda Yildiz,1 Gülüm Sumnu,2 and Serpil Sahin3
© 2019 AACC International, Inc.
Gluten-free doughs lack the glutenins and gliadins responsible for dough expansion and strength, inhibiting network formation and reducing the viscoelastic structure of doughs. Microwave baking methods have some advantages over conventional baking methods, including faster heating, time and energy conservation, and greater product volume. They also have some disadvantages, however, including nonuniform heating, insufficient starch gelatinization, gummy texture, lack of color formation, and high moisture loss. A combination of hot air and microwave baking can be used to decrease the moisture loss caused by interior heating. Lack of color formation due to Maillard reaction is another important disadvantage of microwave baking methods. To improve color formation, susceptors that absorb microwave energy, converting it to heat, or a combination of microwave and infrared heating can be utilized. The advantages and disadvantages of baking gluten-free products using different microwave methods and some possible solutions are summarized in this article.
Trying to reach content?
View Full Article
if you don't have access, become a member
- Alifakı, Y. Ö., and Şakıyan, Ö. Dielectric properties, optimum formulation and microwave baking conditions of chickpea cakes. J. Food Sci. Technol. 54:4, 2017.
- Berk, E., Şumnu, G., and Şahin, S. Effects of hydrocolloids and carob bean flour on rheological properties of batter and cake quality. Gida / J. Food. 42:6, 2017.
- Bhattacharya, M., and Basak, T. A comprehensive analysis on the effect of shape on the microwave heating dynamics of food materials. Innovative Food Sci. Emerg. Technol. 39:247, 2017.
- Ceresino, E. B., Kuktaite, R., Sato, H. H., Hedenqvist, M. S., and Johansson, E. Impact of gluten separation process and transglutaminase source on gluten based dough properties. Food Hydrocoll. 87:661, 2019.
- Demirkesen, I., Sumnu, G., and Sahin, S. Quality of gluten-free bread formulations baked in different ovens. Food Bioprocess Technol. 6:3, 2013.
- Demirkesen, I., Sumnu, G., Sahin, S., and Uysal, N. Optimisation of formulations and infrared-microwave combination baking conditions of chestnut-rice breads. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 46:9, 2011.
- Hesso, N., Loisel, C., Chevallier, S., and Marti, A. The role of ingredients on thermal and rheological properties of cake batters and the impact on microcake texture. LWT Food Sci. Technol. 63:2, 2015.
- Ozkahraman, B. C., Sumnu, G., and Sahin, S. Effect of different flours on quality of legume cakes to be baked in microwave-infrared combination oven and conventional oven. J. Food Sci. Technol. 53:3, 2016.
- Puligundla, P., Abdullah, S., Choi, W., Jun, S., Oh, S., and Ko, S. Potentials of microwave heating technology for select food processing applications—A brief overview and update. J. Food Process. Technol. 4:11, 2013.
- Sahin, S., Sumnu, G., and Zincirkiran, D. Effects of susceptor, coating and conventional browning applications on color and crust formation during microwave baking. J. Microw. Power Electromagn. Energy. 37:4, 2002.
- Sakiyan, O., Sumnu, G., Sahin, S., Meda, V., Koksel, H., and Chang, P. A study on degree of starch gelatinization in cakes baked in three different ovens. Food Bioprocess Technol. 4:7, 2011.
- Sumnu, G. A review on microwave baking of foods. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 36:2, 2001.
- Sumnu, G., Koksel, F., Sahin, S., Basman, A., and Meda, V. The effects of xanthan and guar gums on staling of gluten-free rice cakes baked in different ovens. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 45:87, 2010.
- Sumnu, G., Sahin, S., and Sevimli, M. Microwave, infrared and infrared-microwave combination baking of cakes. J. Food Eng. 71:150, 2005.
- Therdthai, N., Tanvarakom, T., Ritthiruangdej, P., and Zhou, W. Effect of microwave assisted baking on quality of rice flour bread. J. Food Qual. 39:245, 2016.
- Thostenson, E. T., and Chou, T.-W. Microwave processing: Fundamentals and applications. Compos. Part A Appl. Sci. Manuf. 30:9, 1999.
- Turabi, E., Sumnu, G., and Sahin, S. Rheological properties and quality of rice cakes formulated with different gums and an emulsifier blend. Food Hydrocoll. 22:2, 2008.
- Turabi, E., Sumnu, G., and Sahin, S. Quantitative analysis of macro and micro- structure of gluten-free rice cakes containing different types of gums baked in different ovens. Food Hydrocoll. 24:8, 2010.
- Yildiz, E., Guner, S., Sumnu, G., Sahin, S., and Oztop, M. H. Monitoring the effects of ingredients and baking methods on quality of gluten-free cakes by time-domain (TD) NMR relaxometry. Food Bioprocess Technol. 11:10, 2018.